Saturday, 3 October 2026

31 Days of Graves Day 3 Overgrown

These days there seems to be a couple of schools of thought regarding the upkeep of cemeteries. I have visited some that are clipped, cut, and maintained to the nth degree; I’ve been to some where one small area is devoted to re-wilding to help the flora and bees, and I’ve been to other cemeteries which are completely overgrown. I think there is no right or wrong strategy.

So, let’s look at some overgrown memorials. All these are in the Leicester Road old cemetery. Three of these were taken in 2014, one in 2020. I cannot tell you anything about the seriously overgrown ones, as I can’t quite work out where they are today in the Leicester Road old cemetery!



The following memorial is to Edward Chatterton Middleton, the banker. In 2014 it was somewhat overgrown, and the impression at the time was that it was a standalone grave. However, since the area has been cleared, the extent of the memorial can now be seen, along with evidence that there were once iron railings around the plot. You can read a bit more about E.C. Middleton on an earlier blogpost.  



On a rather whimsical blogpost, I once wrote the following, about people I’d visit if I were living in their time period: the Middletons were most hospitable!

"Having visited Edward Middleton, owner of Middleton's Bank in Market Place, at his home in the Grove on Ashby Road (now student halls) in 1871, I'd then walk up to Leicester Road, to visit his son Edward William Craddock Middleton and his wife Augusta Sophia. They're living in Shelthorpe Cottage, a beautiful house in a park setting - lovely and quiet! In 1887 Edward died, and Augusta Sophia continued to live in Shelthorpe House, but eventually moved to Fairfield House, now known as the White House, probably to get away from the steam of the new Great Central Railway, and the constant machinery of the new Tucker's brick works, which both opened around 1898-9. In 1907 I'd pop into Fairfield House and chat about the recent events Mrs Middleton had been to - she's a very social lady and has numerous friends!”

I hope this was an interesting read, and look forward to sharing more memorials with you tomorrow.

____________________________________

Posted by lynneaboutloughborough

With apologies for typos which are all mine!

_______________________________________________

Thank you for reading this blog.

Copyright:

The copyright © of all content on this blog rests with me, however, you are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follows:

Dyer, Lynne (2026). 31 Days of Graves Day 3 Overgrown. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2026/09/31-days-of-graves-day-3-overgrown.html [Accessed 3 October 2026]

Take down policy:

I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

External Links:

By including links to external sources I am not endorsing the websites, the authors, nor the information contained therein, and will not check back to update out-of-date links. Using these links to access external information is entirely the responsibility of the reader of the blog.

Blog archive and tags:

If you are viewing this blog in mobile format, you will not be able to easily access the blog archive, or the clickable links to various topics. These can be accessed if you scroll to the bottom of the page, and click 'View Web Version'. Alternatively, there is also a complete list of posts, which when clicked will take you to the page you are interested in.

Searching the blog:

You can search the blog using the dedicated search box that appears near the top of the blog when viewed in the web version. Alternatively, you can search using your usual search engine (e.g. Bing, Google, DuckDuckGo etc.) by following this example:

site: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/ “Radmoor House”

NOTE – the words you’re actually looking for must be in “” and the first of these must be preceded by a space

Thank you for reading this blog.

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions: if you take the email route, our conversation remains private, and is not published on the blog. Thanks for reading the blog.