Sunday 6 November 2016

Obelisks everywhere!

I can't remember if I mentioned to you that last weekend we walked from the centre of Loughborough to Woodhouse Eaves to visit the Woodhouse Eaves Art Group Annual Exhibition, and what a lovely show it was too! Some great paintings from some very talented local people, and a lovely cup of tea too!

 
So, this weekend, the youngest came home for a short break from uni, and looking for somewhere different for a daytrip, we plumped for the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It was a beautiful sunny day, but crisp like the best winter days should be. We've been to the park before, but each time we see something different, sometimes because the exhibitions have changed, sometimes because we had inadvertently missed something on the previous visit, but spotted it this time.

Last time we specifically went to YSP to see the poppies from the Tower of London which had just begun their tour of the country. 



    

So, this weekend, there was nothing specific happening that we knew of and we didn't go to see anything in particular, so we felt free to have a good old wander around the grounds of Bretton Hall. We took a map, and ended up walking along the Upper Lake path, which we'd not done before, and I was impressed with the Greek Temple, the lovely little shell grotto and the boathouse.
The Greek Temple
The Greek Temple


The Shell Grotto

The Boathouse
But, the thing that struck me most was the obelisk, not particularly tall, but, like all obelisks, striking. This particular one was built post-1720, to mark the spot where the previous Bretton Hall had been.  

The Obelisk

Information board about the obelisk
Of course, you know what I'm thinking, don't you? There's an obelisk on the Garendon Estate, built as a folly, not marking anything specific, as far as I know. And I've blogged about this briefly in a previous post. Needless to say I was surprised to come across the obelisk at YSP.

And then something else weird happened. I follow a Facebook Page about Southampton, because my eldest is a student there, and guess what appeared in my Facebook feed? Yes, another mention of an obelisk, this time in Mayfield Park in Southampton!! I do happen to be familiar with Mayfield Drive in Loughborough, but I've never been to Mayfield Park in Southampton. A further coincidence is that there is a Mayfield Bowling Green in Mayfield Park, and my son who is studying in Southampton is a bowler! I shall have to ask him next time he phones if he knows of the park and what it's like. In the meantime, I've had a quick look around the internet and found that the obelisk was erected in honour of Charles James Fox, a Whig politician, and it's made of Portland Stone, like the base of the Loughborough carillon! Wikipedia also has a [short] list of other obelisks in the country, so if you happen to want to find others, this could be useful!!
Eldest bowling, but not sure where!
Anyway, best away, and see what other coincidences next week has in store for me.      



2 comments:

  1. I love reading your site! You put so much work into it. I am very interested in local history as 6 generations and perhaps more of my family lived in this area. If you have time, I would love photos or information about the poorer people's houses. I know there perhaps isn't so much.. As the large houses. My grandfather had a bakery on Pinfold street,, and great grandfather a framework Knitters small business on Buckhorn square both long gone. I think there is still a bit left of Buckhorn sq at the back of the old main Post office. Kind regards Brenda Needham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, and thanks for your lovely comments. I am really short of time at the moment, so research is somewhat on hold, and I feel like the blog is taking a bit of a side road! You're right, of course, that it would be lovely to include the lives of poorer people of the town, and the more humble rather than the larger houses, but this kind of information is a bit trickier to track down, so I shall try and research some of this over the coming year.
      How lovely to hear about your Grandfather's bakery on Pinfold Street. Yes, I think you're right about Buckhorn Square - is it where CPS Interiors is? Framework knitting was "big business" in the town, as you probably know, so it's interesting to learn that you had a small framework knitting business in your family. Thanks again, Lynne

      Delete

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.