Sunday 27 September 2015

Garendon Park

I've taken to doing a bit more walking around the Loughborough area lately and I've found some really lovely walks right on my doorstep! In May I took myself off up the A6 towards Hathern and parked in the top end of the layby on the way back into Loughborough, so I could walk to the Bavarian Gates. As it happened, in the end I carried on, over the stonebow bridge and into Morrisons car park! On the way I passed some lovely wooden sculptures in the children's park behind the new houses on Darwin Crescent, the newish development on the way to Hathern, an elephant's foot, some fabulous trees, a striking telegraph pole, some beautiful buds, a lovely moss-covered stone seat, the Obelisk (built by Ambrose Phillips in 1730) and the Bavarian Gates, designed by the architect William Railton, who was also responsible for the original monastery buildings at Mount St Bernard's Abbey (the current ones being designed by Pugin), Copt Oak, Woodhouse Eaves, Groby and Thorpe Acre churches, Beamanor Hall, and Nelson's Column (but his design for the new Houses of Parliament only came 4th!)!

Here follows a photographic record of my walk.






























If you're interested in doing some further reading, here's a couple of interesting links:
http://www.thorpeacre2000.freeuk.com/garendon.htm
http://www.lrgt.org/uploads/Autumn_Newsletter_09.pdf

6 comments:

  1. Hi new to the area. I would like to walk to the temple of venus. I live just off Maxwell drive and often go down to stonebow bridge and around there. Just worried about ending up on someones land. Thanx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo! Thanks for reading the blog and taking the trouble to comment. The Temple of Venus is actually on private land, belonging to Squire De Lisle. The Bavarian (or Red) Arch is accessible though, via a path off - oh dear, the name of the road escapes me, but near Kenilworth Avenue - and is a lovely walk. If you want more specific directions and areas for walking drop me an email. Thanks again, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello would you be happy for me to use some of your lovely pictures on my website?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Unknown! Thank you for reading the blog and taking the time and trouble to ask about using my photographs! I'm sure they're not that good! And they are probably too much reduced in quality to reproduce well. What is your website? If you email me, I can probably find the original photographs, which would be better quality. Thanks again, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much of the old hall and park is accessible to go on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! The hall was demolished in 1964. It is possible to walk from Loughborough to Shepshed, or Loughborough to Dishley.
    Not sure what proportion of the estate that actually amounts to.

    ReplyDelete

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.