Sunday 4 November 2018

Pubs and a bit of art!

While I was away in Wales a couple of weeks ago, I kept seeing pubs that reminded me of Loughborough, and in one town there was even a pub called the Robin Hood - which seemed a long way from where I'd have expected to find it!

A couple of weeks ago I went along to a writing session at the Three Nuns as part of the Hidden Voices project. It was great fun listening to other people's stories of how they came to be living in Loughborough, and it was great to see all the results of this project on display in the Old Rectory over the last couple of weekends. Sessions weren't just held in the pub though - there were other meetings of other groups of folk in different places, which made for a varied ad interesting display. You can read more about the events that have taken place at the Old Rectory on their blog. See pics at the end, too.

We were recently discussing different pub venues for such writing events, and someone suggested the Orange Tree. Funnily enough, I've just read today that the Orange Tree and Kelso have been sold to the Charles Wells Brewery. Let's hope they continue to be successful in welcoming both townsfolk and students. 

I've also popped across to Woodhouse Eaves for the annual exhibition of the Woodhouse Eaves art group. This was a lovely event with so many beautiful paintings on display, from a range of very talented artists. While I was there I noticed an advert for another art event, this time in what I still call St Peter's Community Centre, which I believe is now Rosebery Community Centre, so I dropped in there too. Again, lots of talented artists showing a wide variety of art!

This last Friday I visited the Local Studies area of the public library, where it was really, really busy! This was the last day the area would be open to the public, as the library is now closed until the beginning of January while they install SMART access. When it does re-open, the display in the Local Studies area will feature the life and work of the architect William Railton.

Pubs spotted on holiday

An out of place Robin Hood found in Monmouth! 
Built Wells has a White Horse: Loughborough's White Horse, in Bedford Street is now Moza's


Was this once a White Swan in Builth Wells? Loughborough's White Swan was on Wellington Street

The Barley Mow in Builh Wells. Loughborough's was on Market Street.

The King's Head, Llandudno. Loughborough's is now the Ramada Inn on High Street.

The Albion in Conwy. Loughborough's was a canalside pub which is now closed.


Photographs of all Loughborough's pubs can be found in Bill's wonderful book, Billy's Book of Loughborough Boozers.

Hidden Voices at the Old Rectory Museum









Woodhouse Eaves art exhibition






Art exhibition at Rosebery Community Centre






Looking forward to the Railton exhibition in the New Year in the public library ...




You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2018). Pubs and a bit of art. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2018/11/pubs-and-bit-of-art.html   [Accessed 4 November 2018]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.