Sunday 29 April 2018

Psychogeographic walk Loughborough

These last couple of weeks have seen me out and about rather a lot, but trying to dodge the pollen!

One afternoon last week I went on a walk with some work colleagues. It was suggested to me that this was a psychogeographical walk, but it was only as we were walking around that I realised what this meant. 

One common definition, by Joseph Hart is "a whole toy box full of playful, inventive strategies for exploring cities ... just about anything that takes pedestrians off their predictable paths and jolts them into a new awareness of the urban landscape". Some of the strategies for this might be getting people to look up and down, and really looking at things and understanding and questioning rather than observing and moving on. 

One of the members of our group was part of the Loiterers Resistance Movement, a group who meet in Manchester once a month and walk around different areas, seeing different things. D'you know, I think this is exactly what I do when I walk around Loughborough: I may be going to a place regularly (the library, the market, the cinema, the shops) but I vary my route and sometimes go way out of my way, just so I can experience a different view of Loughborough. 

So, here's a set of photos of places I've been over the last couple of weeks.

Whatton House gardens was just springing to life when I visited the other week:









Calke Abbey was looking picturesque in the sunshine:







It was a freezing cold day at Beaumanor Hall:





St Paul's Church in Woodhouse Eaves was beautifully dressed for a book launch:





Maddy Prior was looking and sounding great at her concert last week, with Hannah James and Giles Lewin:




The architectural plans of Henry Goddard and company were stunning:





The drawings of W E Cooke were also stunning:




The Zenobia perfume bottles in the library also made a stunning display:




The art on show at the Open House today was exciting:





You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2018). Psychogeographic walk Loughborough. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2018/04/psychogeographic-walk-loughborough.html  [Accessed 29 April 2018]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.