Sunday 28 September 2014

Nanpantan and Temperance


Nanpantan and the Temperance movement


While I was researching last week’s blopost on The Windmill Inn, I happened across a mention in a 1928 trade directory of a temperance establishment on Baxter Gate (number 27) run by a Mrs Mary Peberdy, which reminded me that I had not shared with you my research into temperance in Nanapantan.

I also mentioned in my blogpost a couple of weeks ago that I had been moved to research the temperance movement because of a facebook post I’d read about the Temperance Hotel in Nanpantan, where reference was made to some postcards on ebay of two different buildings in Nanpantan purporting to be the Temperance Hotel. Obviously, I can’t post pictures of those postcards, but here’s a link to the one (scroll down to the bottom of the page) and here’s a link to the other. (see below for further information about the latter).

1911 census entry for Mr Clarke, and Mr Potter

An extensive search of the census returns for Nanpantan has revealed that at one time there were two Temperance venues in Nanpantan – at least, according to the enumerator of the 1911 census - one being the Longcliffe Hotel, and the other being Nanpantan Temperance Hotel. The Longcliffe Hotel was on the corner of Nanpantan Road and Breakback Road, and is now a nursing home, having at one time being a hall of residence for the university. The Temperance Hotel is on the same side as the Longcliffe, at the end of the row of cottages coming down the hill towards Loughborough. You may well have noticed it: I have travelled to work that way for the last 28 years, but had never stopped to wonder what the house that set back from the road was, until now, but now it’s not so easy to see as there has been some development in front of it.



The former Longcliffe Hotel
In 1891, The Longcliffe Hotel was being run by John Bennett and his wife Mary Ann. John had previously been a licensed victualler at the King William IV pub at 46 Pinfold Gate, in 1871, before moving to The Boat Inn at 2 Fishpool Head (listed exactly as this: 2 Fishpool Head (the Boat Inn) – which is odd because the only Boat Inn listed in Bill’s book is the one on Canal Bank, whereas Fishpool Head was, I think, where the Cattle Market is now).

I believe the Nanpantan Temperance Hotel had not quite been built in 1891.

In 1901 Thomas Clarke was the “Full Licensed Public Hotel Keeper” of the Longcliffe Hotel, where he lived with his wife, Mary, and children Beatrice, Ernest, and Amy, and two servants.

In 1911 the Longcliffe was still being run by Thomas Clarke and his wife, Mary, and his occupation was listed as a licensed victualler. The business had a small cottage attached at the side which the couple rented out as a holiday home. According to a friend of mine, people used to come to Nanpantan from as far away as Derbyshire for short breaks.

The former Nanpantan Temperance Hotel

 
 
 
By 1901, The Nanpantan Temperance Hotel had been built and was being run by Samuel Potter and his wife, Mary Ann. Samuel was a former cabinet maker who had previously – certainly in 1891 -  lived at number 18 Nottingham Road. In 1901 he is listed as a registered hotel keeper, and his children, Nellie and Mary are also living with their parents, as is Samuel’s brother-in-law, who is listed as a cabinet maker. There are also a couple of servants living in.

In 1911, Samuel, listed as a caterer and hotel keeper, is running the Temperance Hotel with his wife, Mary and daughter, also called Mary.


 
 
 
 
 
So, I think you can see why I am somewhat confused by Nanpantan and its temperance hotels! Ebay has featured photographs of two different buildings claiming to be the Nanpantan Temperance Hotel (as well as one claiming to be the drive of said hotel scroll down a bit to see it), and the enumerator of the 1911 census has listed Thomas Clarke, and Samuel Potter as both residing at the Nanpantan Temperance Hotel, but I can only find information for one temperance hotel (the one run by Potter, I think), the other establishment being the Longcliffe Hotel, which is quite obviously a licensed establishment, run by Clarke.
 
  

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting.I`d seen postcards of the 2nd one on a number of the Facebook pages so thank you for the explanation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Unknown! I must admit, it was very confusing, but I hope I managed to get the right information associated with the right place!! Thank you for reading the blog and taking the trouble to comment! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin Whitehouse9 November 2019 at 16:24

    Fascinating article, Lynne. My mother grew up in the 1930's in one of the cottages just down the road from the former Longcliffe Hotel and I have always been a bit curious about how old those are. I came across an article some years ago in my mum's house (wish I could remember what it was) that suggested the cottages were built as part of the short-lived Charnwood Forest Canal venture, which would make them late 1790's/early 1800's, probably much older than the Longcliffe. The same article mentioned a boatman's pub there, possibly in the row or maybe where the Longcliffe is now. I wonder if you have ever come across any history of these cottages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin! Thank you for reading the blog - and taking the time and trouble to comment. What you say about the cottages would certinaly make sense, and that would also explain why there might have been a pub in the vicinity called the Boat, but I still think FishPool Head was where Cattle Market is now, so I'm still puzzled!!! I will have to try and do some research into this at some point! Thanks again, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful blogspot, a fantastic record of so many aspects of social history in the Loughborough area. I came across is looking for references to the Longcliffe Hotel. Thomas and Mary Clarke who ran the hotel in the early 1900s were my great grandparents on my mother's side of the family. Amy Clarke was my grandmother. Nice to see their names recorded in your blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mel 'O' Yellow! Thank you so much for reading the blog! I'm so glad you found it interesting, and so pleased to have mentioned some of your ancestors in this particular post! Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment! Thank you, Lynne

      Delete

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.