Sunday 5 May 2019

Loughborough in Nottingham: pubs and stuff!

A forthcoming evening wedding do with a 1940s theme had me head off to Nottingham to a vintage fair looking for something suitable to wear. The venue was the Albert Hall, which is a place I've been to many-a time, either to sing, or to listen to my children singing or playing in bands and orchestras.

Anyway, it didn't take me long to walk around the stalls, partly because I knew I wouldn't find anything appropriate, being so short, and partly because I'm not a huge fan of dressing up either (if you saw me at last year's Picnic in the Park, you might like to know that that's probably the first time I've ever dressed up: I'm debating whether or not to dress up for this year's Picnic in the Park, which is a celebration of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert - 8th June - do come along!), which means I didn't really want to find anything!!!

So, finding myself with a bit of time before my train, I went off on an adventurous (well, adventurous for me!) walk around bits of Nottingham I wasn't very familiar with. 

Starting from the Albert Hall, I couldn't help but be impressed with the hall itself, and the wonderful buff terracotta used in its decoration. The current building is actually a replacement for the original which was designed by Watson Fothergill - who also designed our NatWest bank - but which burned down in 1906. The new building was designed by Alfred Edward Lambert, who also designed the Victoria Street station and the Nottingham Midland station, both in Nottingham:


Nottingham Midland railway station

Nottingham Midland railway station

Nottingham Midland railway station

Albert Hall

Albert Hall

Albert Hall

Albert Hall

Terracotta detail next to the Albert Hall

From the Albert Hall, I went up the hill, called Derby Road, until I hit its junction with Ilkeston Road and Alfreton Road, where I followed the latter. There were some lovely pubs this way, including the Sir John Borlase Warren (I admit not someone I'd previously heard of, but it piqued my interest because of the artist Borlase Smart who has a connection to St Ives, a place I visit most summers), and The Falcon, of which there is also one so named in Long Whatton:

The Sir John  Borlase Warrem

The Falcon
The Rose and Crown I passed on my travels was no longer a pub. Our own Rose and Crown was opened in 1930 during a period of street widening and has been through a number of name changes, but has reverted to its original.

The Rose and Crown, Nottingham

Rose and Crown, Loughborough


Another former Nottingham pub, whose identity I do not know, simply reminded me of the Clarence Inn on the corner of Nottingham Road and Clarence Street, though known more recently as the Jack 'O Lantern, and now flats, although now I put the two pictures together, I can see they look not at all alike!! Maybe I was thinking of the new shape of the Royal George? 

A former pub in Nottingham

The former Clarence and Jack 'O Lantern

New flats on the site of the Royal George

The Generous Briton in Nottingham was quite unlike ours, which is on Ashby Road, although ours is still a pub, whereas the Nottingham one is now a Chinese restaurant:

Nottingham's former Generous Briton

Loughborough's Generous Briton, from Regent Street


And the last of the Nottingham pubs, one which is now a restaurant, is quite unlike any of ours, with very decorative tiling:

A former Nottingham pub

The other things that I noticed whilst on my trip around Nottingham were some of the road names. The Nottingham Midland station is on Carrington Street, and we have one of those in Loughborough, although I think ours is often spelled with only 1 "r":

Nottingham's Carrington Street

Nottingham also has a Boden Street, whereas we have a John Boden Way - a very recent addition to our collection of street names:

A stunning former bank on the corner of Boden Street, Nottingham

A close up of the Nottingham street
Loughborough's similarly named street


Loughborough has many streets named after poets, like Wordsworth Road, Burns Road, Larkin Lane, and Tennyson Road. I passed a Tennyson Street in Nottingham:



On the way back to the railway station there were a number of things that caught my eye and reminded me of Loughborough. Here's a few of them:

Slate gravestones, although these were Welsh slate, not Swithland slate

A pub with a Swithland slate roof (compare this to our former 12 Degrees West)

I always feel close to home when I'm near a canal!

Quite unlike either of ours!

And, when I returned to Loughborough I thought how lovely 'The Brush' looked in the sun, and how nice to have a reminder of the train station in the flats opposite!

'The Brush'

Reminder of trains

Of course, there were loads of other things that reminded me of Loughborough, but time has again caught up with me, and I should be doing something else!!

'Til next time!!


Lynne


You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2019). Loughborough in Nottingham: pubs and stuff! Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2019/05/loughborough-in-nottingham-pubs-and.html  [Accessed 5 May 2019]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.