Sunday 4 August 2019

Holiday connections and anniversaries

Continuing with the holiday connection theme ...

In my last post I'd got as far as sharing with you some connections that made me think of Loughborough whilst I was in Launceston. Hmmm, this was actually the first day of my two-week holiday, and it was the 'let's stop off here for a break' place, in what was to be a 350-mile journey. My thinking now is that if I took a whole blog post to share the revelations from a 2-hour visit to Launceston, then it will take me about 14 blog posts to cover the rest of the holiday, so below are the edited highlights!!!

My most exciting find was on a walk in the countryside near St Ives. In previous years we've walked the coastal paths, so this year we decided to visit some of the inland footpaths and some of the small country lanes. For some reason or other, which now escapes me, I'd gone on this walk carrying with me as little as possible - so no camera, and no phone - so, of course, we had to go back another time for me to take some photos. Hence, late one evening, these are what I took:





Now, I haven't done any research into these initials, but I'm supposing they are Edward Hain, an MP for St Ives, and the owner of a shipping company. Like James Eadie, of the brewery company, remains of which affiliation can be seen on the former Station Hotel in Loughborough, Edward Hain had gone into the tea business, before switching careers. 

The significance to Loughborough of these initials is not in Edward Hain, but in Edward Hands who originally lived on Burton Walks, but moved to Castledine Street, where, if I remember rightly, he had the house extended and his initials inscribed in a plaque. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo:



Driveway into the former home of Edward hands


Edward Hands initials on Castledine Street
A couple of other connections from St Ives include this attractive house name a lovely Celtic design painted on slate, the other connection being that my children all went to Holywell School:


And just one more, so as not to bore you!! This beautiful blue enamel street sign is oh so similar to some in Loughborough, like Park Street and Charnwood Road, but what a difference - white walls and red brick walls!





The other thing which I wanted to mention today is that today is actually the 6th anniversary of this blog, which I first started on 4 August 2013! Hard to believe it's been going that long! The initial impetus for creating it still holds true: I want to promote Loughborough and show the world what's good about our lovely town, through stories of its history, its current events and everything in between. I'm so pleased you're still with me!

In the spirit of promoting knowledge and a love for our town, I've written a couple of books - 'Loughborough in 50 Buildings', and 'Secret Loughborough', and I'm having a signing event for the latter at the Old Rectory Museum on Saturday 10th August, between 11am and 3pm - everyone welcome - no purchase necessary - and if you've already bought a copy I'd be happy to sign it. 

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2019). Holiday connections and anniversaries. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2019/08/holiday-connections-and-anniversaries.html [Accessed 4 August 2019]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne  





















           

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.