Sunday 27 October 2019

24 hours on the GCR

As you know, I spend a lot of time in Loughborough (when I'm not at work in Leicester!) and even when I'm not in Loughborough I spend most of my time exclaiming when I find anything even vaguely Loughborough-related!

So, in the last couple of weeks I've been lucky enough to be out and about in Loughborough, in Charnwood, and even in North West Leicestershire! Let's start closest to home ...

As a special birthday treat (no, not for me!) we took a ride on the Great Central Railway, but not just any ride!! The Murder Mystery train journey included a five-course dinner, and a chance to try out the little grey cells a la Poirot and Murder on the Orient Express! It was a cold, wet, dark evening as we walked up to the station on Great Central Road and we were shocked to find when we got there that Mr Wellington Boot had been murdered. We were even more shocked to find that the inspector of police, needed help from us to solve the case! It was all very exciting as he presented the information to us on the platform before we boarded the train. 





During the course of our meal - I had soup, Boeuf Bourgignon, creme brulee cheesecake (yes, you read that right!) cheese and biscuits, and finally tea - we discussed the case, interviewed the suspects, asked questions of the inspector, discussed the case again, alighted the train at Rothley for a spot of fresh air, re-embarked with fresh ideas, discussed the case again, interviewed the suspects again, and finally presented our verdict. Well, we were half right! What a fabulous evening! 





As if that weren't enough, as part of the evening meal we were given tickets to ride the Great Central the following day too, so, guess what? we did!! We caught the train at Loughborough, having spent a little while perusing the platform in the daylight, and maybe buying a book or two! Fabulous to see things along the journey that it had been too dark to see the night before, like Woodhouse Eaves up on the hill, like Swithland Reservoir, and the different stations along the route. We went all the way to Leicester North, and stayed on the train while the engine moved from one end of the train to the other, and then we alighted at Quorn, from where we walked home to Loughborough. And that's all I have time for this week! Charnwood and North West Leicestershire will have to wait until next week!!


















You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2019). 24 hours on the GCR. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2019/10/24-hours-on-gcr.html  [Accessed 27 October 2019]

Take down policy:
 post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.