Sunday 11 October 2020

Outwoods

Oh dear! After last week's post on Bernard Nixon Wale, I promised you the rest of his story and something about his life in Loughborough. Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way of my research, so I will tell more about Bernard Nixon Wale next week. Today, I will share with you some memorials, especially benches, which I discovered while out walking in The Outwoods, celebrating a socially-distanced birthday. I've walked in The Outwoods plenty of times, and have even written about it in "A-Z of Loughborough", but I really hadn't noticed before just how many memorials are scattered throughout the woods. All the benches were of different styles; some had been there for years, while others were fairly new. Some were inscribed with names that are familiar ones from Loughborough's history. Here's some of the ones I saw:

This bench is dedicated to Eileen Nicholson, a textile conservator and is dated 2nd March 1995

David Stuart Burman 1941-2003 loved to walk in these woods.
Remembered always by his family and friends

In memory of Harry Woolley who loved these woods and worked to protect them

I am not a saint unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying.
Dillon MacCuish 10/9/71-27/7/16. Forever in our thoughts and loved always

In memory of Harold Bowler, Parks Manager. Presented by family, friends
 and colleagues of Charnwood Council, 1920-1984

In loving memory of David Robinson who passed away on 22.4.2008, aged 56.
Rest in peace


Bolesworth is a name that might be familiar to shoppers of yesteryear






Donated by two friends who appreciate the Charnwood countryside
Winifred Farnsworth and Marjorie Hodgson








The name of Clemerson will be familiar to shoppers from Loughborough





To mark Human Rights year, 1968, trees were planted in this are by Loughborough members
of Amnesty International in the presence of the Mayor of Loughborough,
Councillor A N Strachan on 12 March 1968
"For I have learned to look on nature not as in the hour of thoughtless youth, 
but hearing oftentimes the still sad music of humanity." Wordsworth

This memorial features around 10 plaques from both individuals and organisations


You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:


Dyer, Lynne (2020). The Outwoods. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2020/10/outwoods.html [Accessed 11 October 2020]

Take down policy:

I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

You can leave comments below, but do check back as my reply will appear here, below your comment.

Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne             




                                

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.