Sunday 3 January 2021

A strange year in Loughborough

The year 2020 is surely one that most of us will remember forever, when in March the whole country came to a standstill, in order to beat a virus. Life as we knew it changed and after just over nine months later we have not been able to go back to the way things once were, and a new normal has become, well, the norm!

Writing this blog over the past year has been rather interesting, and has been rather different. Originally the intention for the year was to post an article by a guest blogger once a month, and this started well, with a post about what happened to the Captain of the Zeppelin airship that dropped bombs on Loughborough in January 1916. This was followed by a post about art and artists in Loughborough, Leicestershire and Rutland. And then, the pandemic began.

Stuck at home, I struggled to write posts, as my prompts had all but disappeared. No trips out to places that would remind me things about Loughborough that I could then research and write about, so I had to rely on looking through my collection of books about Loughborough, and take my cues from there. And now I say that, there's one I missed, as I actually have a book written in 2000 called "When my cue comes: the autobiography of Rev Sidney Y. Richardson", a methodist minister in Loughborough whom I met when I was having some printing done by Team Print, and it's been 20 years since I last read it, so I should give it another go.

Other blog posts were prompted by friends and acquaintances asking me if I knew anything about something specific, and this led to a series of posts in relation to Fairmount Drive, Arthur Edward Shepherd, and Glebe House, amongst other things.

So, over the past nine months I've done more walking around the outskirts of Loughborough than I would normally have done, so please find below a selection of photographs taken during the year.

Happy New Year to you all.

January 2020

Former Geoff's Toys

Church Gate

February 2020
Flooded Queen's Park

House on Storer Road

March 2020
Former pub on Nottingham Road bridge

Mountsorrel granite, Burton Street

April 2020
Deserted Granby Street car park

Southfields Park, closed

May 2020
Celebrating VE Day

Gate pier on Forest Road

June 2020
New style market

Rainbow stones on Tuckers Road

Poppies on Bowling Green Way

July 2020
Harry Cook's place, Epinal Way

Messenger in the pavement

August 2020
Hopper on Storer Road

Mucklin Lodge

New housing adjacent to the GCR

September 2020
Burleigh Brook Ashby Road

Empty Poundstretcher

October 2020
Autumn leaves on Shelthorpe Road

Gate piers on Forest Road

November 2020
Houses on Toothill Road

Remembrance poppy at the cemetery

Waymarker on new estate Epinal Way

December 2020
Canal near Nottingham Road bridge

Christmas lights in the market place

Winter Wonderland

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2021). A strange year in Loughborough. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2021/01/a-strange-year-in-loughborough.html  [Accessed 3 January 2021]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

You can leave comments below, but do check back as my reply will appear here, below your comment.

Thank you for reading this blog. 
Lynne             

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.