Sunday 30 May 2021

Visit to Nanpantan Hall

Visit to Nanpantan Hall



Nanpantan Hall, situated on Nanpantan hill, on the way out of Loughborough towards the Charnwood Forest,  is one of those places that you can just about see from some of the footpaths and permissive paths in the area, but it is not generally open to the public. True, it is available for hire for events and weddings, and is used as a learning space for students of the independent School of Philosophy and Economic Science, but it is not open to the public. However, over this bank holiday weekend, the house and grounds have been the location for a unique art exhibition, in which ‘history meets’ art, as the publicity said, and has been open to all, subject to pre-booking and adherence to the COVID-secure procedures.


 

For once I was on the ball and managed to get myself booked in for a visit, although I did get the last available ticket for the day, so I couldn't have been that prompt! Anyway, it was a wonderful occasion to be able to visit a building that has so much historical importance and connection to our town, and once inside, I had a good look around at the art work, at all the family photographs, the documents and possessions, and also watched a short film about the house. There was plenty of opportunity to talk to the artists and the stewards on duty and it was fascinating to hear their stories and learn from them.


 

The grounds were also open to visitors where there were a few stalls – a willow-weaver, a stone mason and Charnwood Arts, to name some – and the farm (Home Farm) was open for refreshments and were doing felting demonstrations. I actually took a bottle of water and an apple with me, so I stood near a bench with a beautiful view to have these in the open air, rather than inside.




The walled garden was also available to walk through, and again, there were plenty of expert gardeners on hand to help with gardening tips, as well as learning the history of the gardens, the buildings on the site, and some of the gardeners who had been employed in the past.

 














As well as being installed in the house, artwork could be found in the grounds, like the pair of willow horses in the meadow, and the pieces of paper, filled with visitors’ comments, strung up on a washing line hanging amongst the volcanic rocks.




 

Apart from the exhibition and the artwork, other things to see were things that are always on the estate: some beautiful rhododendrons; horse chestnut trees; sheep – the list goes on and on, but obviously changes with the seasons!














 

All-in-all, a memorable visit that will stick in my mind for years to come.

Posted by lynneaboutloughborough 30 May 2021

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2021). Ceramics, pots and markets. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2021/05/visit-to-nanpantan-hall-nanpantanhall.html [Accessed 30 May 2021]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

You can leave comments below, but do check back as my reply will appear here, below your comment.

Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne                            

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. Your photos are so familiar to me as I used to visit Joan on my summer holidays. Lots of good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruben! Thank you for reading the blog and taking the time and trouble to comment. I'm so glad the photographs stirred up some memories for you of your visits to Joan in your summer holidays. I wonder how much things have changed since those days? Thank you again, Lynne

      Delete
  2. Hello, Lynne!
    I read your article about Nanpantan Hall and am very surprised by the beauty of nature. It turns out that in England there are hives with bees and the extraordinary beauty of a horse!
    Very beautiful nature and flowers. Peonies and forget-me-nots are simply delightful
    Probably in such picturesque natural interiors and decor is good to create historical films. Your photos inspired me memories from my childhood when I watched an English film «Jane Eyre» based on the novel Charlotte Bronte on Russian TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Thanks for reading the blog!! England has some beautiful countryside, and some very nice houses, many of which are the used as settings for television dramas and films (as is our Great central Railway)! There are also lots of bees and beehives here too: my father used to keep bees in Wales, many, many years ago. We are lucky that our climate allows us to grow such a wide variety of plants and flowers too. Lynne

      Delete

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.