Sunday 26 September 2021

Loughborough Grammar School Tower

Although like many people I often walk along the public footpath, Burton Walks,  through the grammar school grounds, and in the past I've taken my children to the summer activity camps, and myself been to numerous events in the dining hall – railway fairs, collectibles fairs – as well as to numerous band events – concerts and contests – in the Hodson Hall, the opportunity to actually visit some of the school buildings with a view to learning about their history, doesn’t come along very often.

So, last weekend I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Loughborough Grammar School, and as well as learning about some of its history, I was able to take a view of Loughborough that I had not seen before.

When I arrived at the quadrangle, from the Burton Walks side, I had a good look through the open door towards Leicester Road, and looked around the ground floor entrance hallway, where hung portraits of notable LGS alumni – Sir Thomas Abney; George Davys; Richard Pulteney, and William Yates [i], as well as other interesting artefacts. 



I had been in this part of the school before, but I had not, before, been up the tower, so that is where I excitedly went next! In my haste to get to the top, and look at the views, I forgot to count the steps as I went up – and forgot when I came down too! I wonder how it compares with the Carillon?


 

At the top of the tower were some Taylors bells, and some wonderful views! From up here there was a brilliant 360-degree view of Loughborough and its surroundings, and it was fun trying to work out exactly what I was looking at. Some views were obvious because of the buildings that could be seen – the Carillon, with its copper dome, really stands out, and the former Ladybird factory on Beeches Road, with the Leicestershire Wolds beyond, is also pretty distinctive.  The Charnwood Hills form a clear outline, even if my photos don't do them justice!


The former Ladybird factory with the Leicestershire Wolds beyond

The Charnwood Hills in the distance

The Carillon looking tiny in the distance

View towards Leicester Road

View of the quad


The bells on the tower were all made by Taylors, the Loughborough bellfounders. There was a group of 4, bells, installed in memory of the son of a former headteacher, who died during the First World War in 1916. Along with these four bells, is another bell, and, if I’ve understood this correctly, these bells play the Cambridge Chimes, sometimes known as the Westminster chimes.




 

On my way back down the tower, I stopped off in the two classrooms that are off the spiral staircase. Again, some interesting views out, but also some interesting contents, including, in one classroom, the electrified mechanism for the clock.  





 

Once back down on the ground floor, I wandered around, looking at the wonderful old photographs that had been put out for display, along with some of the books that had been awarded as school prizes, and reading the huge amount of information laid out about the actual preparation for the building of the school, around 1852.


Read more about the teacher on the right in the front row in an earlier blogpost


 

Having taken in as much as I could, I made my way out into the quadrangle, having realised how striking the grass was, and noted that the trees which had been planted around the perimeter were in memory of former pupils who had died during the First World War.





[i] A little more information about these people appears in my book, A-Z of Loughborough.

Posted by lynneaboutloughborough 26 September 2021

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2021). Loughborough Grammar School Tower. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2021/09/loughborough-grammar-school-tower.html [Accessed 26 September 2021]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

You can leave comments below, but do check back as my reply will appear here, below your comment.

Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.