Sunday 11 September 2022

Bells, wreaths, and proclamations

A very strange and difficult week, this week. 

Whilst I was walking to a live screening at the university's Cope Auditorium, of Shakespeare's 'Much Ado About Nothing' on Thursday evening, it was announced that the Queen had died. The performance went ahead, but was prefaced with a 2-minute silence. 

On Friday I was lucky enough to be in the belltower of the parish church, when the muffled bells rang out marking the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The bells were still quite loud from within the tower itself, but I'm not sure how they sounded from outside, hopefully a little more sombre than is usual. I do have some photos, but they are all of people, and as I haven't asked permission to post them I shan't.


On Saturday morning I went along to the carillon in Queen's Park to watch wreaths being laid, and on Sunday I was again at the carillon to hear the local proclamation of Charles III.






 

Awaiting the Proclamation

Deputy Lieutenant of the County

The Mayor of Charnwood

Dignitaries included former mayors, and Freemen of the Borough


Dignitaries from the University, the MP, and the leader of the council

Some of the floral tributes

The Mayor of Charnwood
_______________________________________________

posted by lynneaboutloughborough

_______________________________________________

Thank you for reading this blog. You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follows:

Dyer, Lynne (2022). Bells, wreaths, and proclamations. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2022/09/bells-wreaths-and-proclamations.html [Accessed 11 September 2022]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

Blog archive and tags:
If you are viewing this blog in mobile format, you will not be able to easily access the blog archive, or the clickable links to various topics. These can be accessed if you scroll to the bottom of the page, and click 'View Web Version'. Alternatively, there is also a complete list of posts, which when clicked will take you to the page you are interested in.  
 
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.