Monday 7 November 2022

The case of the Burton Street pillar box

I remember years ago, the nearest pillar box on my journey into town used to be the one on the corner of Park Street and Burton Street. In those days, of course, I used to write and send many, many letters, whereas today, most of my communication is done via email – apart from Christmas cards and birthday cards. 

I remember standing on the corner of the street posting letters into the pillar box, whose aperture was actually on the roadside. I also remember thinking how beautiful and rather unusual this box was, for it wasn’t the more commonly seen, rounded box, but a more ornate and differently shaped one. But can I for the life of me remember exactly what it was? 

The reason I say this is because the fate of that lovely pillar box was unfortunate. 

The dramatic headline: 

Postbox is flattened” 

appeared in the Loughborough Echo of 24 December 1999, and I remember the day well. 

The article continued:

“A post box on Burton Street in Loughborough was knocked down when a lorry collided with it.

The incident, which occurred on December 20, was reported to the Royal Mail sorting office, Nottingham Road.

[A spokesperson] from the office said, “The box was knocked off the post, but our maintenance staff are dealing with it.””

I have not been able to find a newspaper report describing the replacement for the pillar box, but I do know that it was replaced, as there is still a pillar box in that position. 

However, although the pillar box was actually replaced, it was replaced with a like-for-like one. Gone was the beautiful Victorian box, and in its place appeared a rather more ubiquitous EIIR rounded box, made by Carron. The replacement box was also rotated, so the aperture was no longer on the roadside, but now allowed the letter-poster to stand on the pavement whilst posting the letter.

The new box on Burton Street

Maker's mark on the new box on Burton Street

The new box on Burton Street looking splendid!

What is so frustrating for me is how much I took the original box for granted, despite admiring it every time I used it! So, I do not know if it was a Penfold box, or another style of Victorian box. Does anyone have an memories of this box or any photographs that would help me identify the style of the original box?

Was it a Penfold?

A Penfold box in Monmouth, 2018

A Penfold box in Caerleon, 2005

A Penfold box in Tenby, 2011

Or was it more like this one, at Warwick?

Warwick, 2017

____________________________________

posted by lynneaboutloughborough

With apologies for typos which are all mine!

_______________________________________________

Thank you for reading this blog. You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follows:

Dyer, Lynne (2022). The case of the Burton Street pillar box. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2022/11/the-case-of-burton-street-pillar-box.html [Accessed 7 November 2022]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

Blog archive and tags:
If you are viewing this blog in mobile format, you will not be able to easily access the blog archive, or the clickable links to various topics. These can be accessed if you scroll to the bottom of the page, and click 'View Web Version'. Alternatively, there is also a complete list of posts, which when clicked will take you to the page you are interested in.  
 
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne     

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.