Sunday 3 September 2023

Beacon Hill Sculpture Trail and Charnwood Museum's Loughborough Landmarks

Well, for today's post I would firstly like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who contributed to the blog's 10th birthday celebrations - either by writing a guest post, or reading the guest posts! I hope you all enjoyed writing and reading them as much as I enjoyed hosting them! 

Before I follow up on that last post about Miss Mary Tate, I'd like to tell you about a couple of things that are happening at the moment - the Beacon Hill Sculpture Trail and Charnwood Museum’s 'Loughborough Landmarks' exhibition.

A few weeks ago I went off to find some willow sculptures that I’d been told were installed up at Beacon Hill, but despite walking along the path from the bottom to the top, and down the other side, I missed them, and went home rather disappointed. Anyway, I tried again, and this time I found those sculptures - called the 'Up to the Beacon Sculpture Trail' - because someone had kindly told me they were near the top car park! I was really pleased because not only did I finally get to see them, but I also discovered a new path around Beacon Hill that I hadn’t walked before, and whilst walking that path I bumped into one of the artists, Nita Rao!

Some of the willow sculptures were in the Outwoods last year, but many are new, and this new setting was pretty spectacular! It was made even more beautiful as I found myself walking around after tea, and just before the sun set, so it was really atmospheric, and the sunset was absolutely glorious!

The sculptures are only there until 17th September so if you want to see them you’ll need to be quick! Here’s just a small selection of some of the things I saw while I was at Beacon Hill - there are many more information boards and sculptures to be seen:

Wooden information board
Wooden noticeboard telling the story of life on earth

Willow sculpture of humna form with raised arms in the trees
Guardian Angel willow sculpture

Three hoops hanging from a tree
Five past midnight

Over-sized spider's web hanging between trees
Woodland web

Footpath surrounded on either side by trees with sunlight shining through
Tree-lined path

White model slugs and snails climing a tree
Cornucopia

Model ants on a wall
Ants

Wiilow bird standing in grass
Wiilow bird in the grass

Sunset on a hill showing a beacon and a carved man
Sunset on Beacon Hill

Last week I was lucky enough to be able to attend the launch of the latest exhibition in the Charnwood Museum, which is called Loughborough Landmarks, and showcases some of Loughborough’s iconic buildings, as voted for by the public. You know how much I like buildings, so you won’t be surprised to learn that I think it’s a lovely exhibition! It was created as part of the celebrations for the 100th anniversary of the Carillon in Queen’s Park. Do pop along to the exhibition if you can – it’s on until December so you’ve got plenty of time!! Here’s a few photos from the exhibition, which is in the Charnwood Gallery - there are many more information boards and objects to be seen:

Two people wearing ceremonial chains standing either side of a plaque
The unveiling by Loughborough's Mayor and the Chair of the Leicestershire County Council

 

An information board with text about the canal and the Great Central Railway
One of the information boards at the exhibition

An information board showing pictures of buildings that are no longer in existence
Not all landmarks still exist ...

____________________________________

Posted by lynneaboutloughborough

With apologies for typos which are all mine!

_______________________________________________

Thank you for reading this blog.

Copyright:

The copyright © of all content on this blog rests with me, however, you are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follows:

Dyer, Lynne (2023). Beacon Hill Sculpture Trail and Charnwood Museum’s Loughborough Landmarks. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2023/09/beacon-hill-sculpture-trail-and.html [Accessed 3 September 2023]

Take down policy:

I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

Blog archive and tags:

If you are viewing this blog in mobile format, you will not be able to easily access the blog archive, or the clickable links to various topics. These can be accessed if you scroll to the bottom of the page, and click 'View Web Version'. Alternatively, there is also a complete list of posts, which when clicked will take you to the page you are interested in.

Searching the blog:

You can search the blog using the dedicated search box that appears near the top of the blog when viewed in the web version. Alternatively, you can search using your usual search engine (e.g. Bing, Google, DuckDuckGo etc.) by following this example:

site: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/ “Radmoor House”

NOTE – the words you’re actually looking for must be in “” and the first of these must be preceded by a space

Thank you for reading this blog.

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.