I’ve wandered through our beautiful Queen’s Park quite a few times recently, and been struck by how fabulous it looks! Of course, I had quite forgotten that on 22nd July, the Carillon celebrated its 103rd year! It seems like only yesterday we were celebrating Carillon100, with a lovely event in the park.
Although I didn’t visit the park on the day, I was there for a bit of a photoshoot the day before, and a few days later, I enjoyed listening to the Quorn Ukulele Orchestra playing in the bandstand. And, yesterday, whilst out hunting down drain covers (as you do!) I captured the Carillon on film, from a couple of different vantage points.
Of course, there’s a lot of work goes on in the park which we’re not always aware of. IdVerde and the Friends of Queen’s Park do a wonderful job of maintaining and re-imagining the displays. I admit, I was sad to see the Olympic rings near the New Street entrance go, but, no doubt, the flower displays replacing them will be magnificent.
I was interested to read recently that the aviaries are to be replaced. They are going to be kept in the same position, but interestingly, they were not originally placed where they are now. You can hear me talking about this back in 2019, and you can see my hands in the BBC report about the forthcoming work! I believe the work has already started, so I must pop back to the park and record the progress!
As part of Loughborough’s offering for Heritage Open Days in September, I’ll be leading some walks around town, some of which will focus on Queen’s Park. Check the Heritage Open Days website for more details of all the events, and all the venues that are open in Loughborough!
And, the
other big news is that next week is the blog’s 13th birthday!! As in the
previous couple of years, I will again be hosting some exciting guest blogposts,
so do pop back here and check them out!
In the meantime, enjoy the photos of my recent visits to Queen's Park and the Carillon.
21st July 2026, the day before the Carillon's 103rd birthday!
| Olympic rings are now gone |
| The Quorn Ukulele Orchestra playing in the bandstand, Sunday 26 July 2026 |
| Viewed from Arthur Street, 30 July 2026 |
| Viewed from Brown's Lane, 30 July 2026 |
____________________________________
Posted by lynneaboutloughborough
With apologies for
typos which are all mine!
_______________________________________________
Thank you for reading this blog.
Copyright:
The copyright © of all content on this blog rests with me, however, you are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follows:
Dyer, Lynne (2026). Queen’s Park and the Carillon. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2026/07/queens-park-and-carillon.html [Accessed 31 July 2026]
Take down
policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
External Links:
By including links to external sources I am not endorsing the websites, the authors, nor the information contained therein, and will not check back to update out-of-date links. Using these links to access external information is entirely the responsibility of the reader of the blog.
Blog
archive and tags:
If you are viewing this blog in mobile format, you will not be able to easily access the blog archive, or the clickable links to various topics. These can be accessed if you scroll to the bottom of the page, and click 'View Web Version'. Alternatively, there is also a complete list of posts, which when clicked will take you to the page you are interested in.
Searching
the blog:
You can search the blog using the dedicated search box that appears near the top of the blog when viewed in the web version. Alternatively, you can search using your usual search engine (e.g. Bing, Google, DuckDuckGo etc.) by following this example:
site: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/ “Radmoor House”
NOTE – the words you’re actually looking for must be in “” and the first of these must be preceded by a space
Thank you for reading this blog.
Lynne
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions: if you take the email route, our conversation remains private, and is not published on the blog. Thanks for reading the blog.