Sunday 27 August 2017

Taylors bells sent off to Ypres

Those of you who are following #100days #100wordsaboutloughborough will know that on Thursday this week I was lucky enough to be able to attend an event in Queen's Park. 

I visited Taylor's Bellfoundry a couple of weeks ago as part of a group from the local library being shown around the foundry and the small museum. It was absolutely fascinating, and I took some wonderful photographs (oh, you know me, the subjects were amazing, my capturing of them, less so!) to remind me of the visit (we were discouraged from sharing photos). Well, the bells that I saw being prepared were the very same ones that would be making the momentous journey from Loughborough to Ypres.

The bells left the bellfoundry on Thursday morning on two WW1 lorries, and made their way to Queen's Park where they were greeted by a large crowd. People were taking photos, talking to people involved in the making of the bells, or those who transported them, or to friends they may have bumped into, and all accompanied by the playing of the Carillon. The Mayor led a two-minute silence before wishing the bells "bon voyage", and she was followed by a number of other speakers, including one of the directors of Taylors. 

It was a hugely moving event, one of those once in a lifetime moments that it was a pleasure to attend. 

Excuse the amateurish video - my first attempt on my phone - but here's a flavour of the event. I'll put some photographs beneath as well.


















Nothing more to say really, is there?

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2017). Taylors bells sent off to Ypres. Available from: https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2017/08/taylors-bells-sent-off-to-ypres.html [Accessed 27 August 2017]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 


Lynne 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.