Sunday 1 July 2018

On Taylors Zeppelins railways churches soldiers and plants

Ok, so I admit it! Today I am being grumpy because it is simply too hot! It's too hot to do anything, too hot to hang out red washing, too hot to cook a roast chicken and too hot to walk anywhere! I had planned to do the Art Trail, but the heat has sapped away any energy I had - and I never have much of that at the best of times!

Having said that, this week has been another interesting one, with loads going on, so lots of choices to make about what to do. 

Thursday was a super day: I met up with some visitors from Canada who were researching their Loughborough roots. As if meeting them and receiving their thanks wasn't enough, they were also kindly brought me a little gift. You can read a bit more about their visit over on the Old Rectory blog




Afterwards, I was out and about in town taking pictures of Zeppelin-related things for a friend who is writing a book about Zeppelin raids in the UK during the First World War. The photo session was only partially successful: I managed to safely stand in the middle of The Rushes without getting run over (it seemed quiet for a Thursday), but the sun was a bit too hot for me to walk to Empress Road. Ah well, maybe another day. In the meantime, I scoured my hard drive for slightly older photos that would do the trick.

On the way home I popped into the library to drop a few things off for a forthcoming exhibition on Taylors Bell Founders, and to see the current exhibition about the three railways in Loughborough. Do pop along if you get a chance: it's a most interesting exhibition, very informative and easy to follow. Well done to all involved.










Let's not talk about Friday. I don't always work on a Friday but this week I had to go in because I am having a massive clearout prior to moving office. 32 year's worth of paperwork is a lot to sort through!! I was interested that a friend who had said they wanted to research into railway posters had sent me some copies of posters, which I had kept for some reason: I guessed now was the time to dispose of them. I was amused, also, to find that in 1996, when I had created my first web pages, I had talked about Mount St Bernard Abbey, and had printed out some information about it: obviously the Railton work a friend and I have recently done for St Paul's church in Woodhouse Eaves, was a continuation of work I started over 20 years ago!!

As a late birthday celebration, we popped over to Oakley Grange for breakfast on Saturday: very nice, and not too hot under the umbrella. Sadly, I missed that pesky Scotsman who was once again steaming through Loughborough! Lunchtime found us in the town centre. How fortuitous that town was really busy, and the Armed Forces Day was in full swing. Lots of interesting stalls to visit, cars/landrovers/bikes to look at and soldiers to talk to. There was also a fantastic part of Loughborough's In Bloom competition entry in the form of a set of shelves adorned with used boots full of plants which had been made up by local school children.















In the afternoon we went over to St Paul's church in Woodhouse Eaves to hear a talk on the Taylor's bells they have, and to learn a bit more about bell founding. 





Absolutely fascinating to hear about all the detailed records that have been unearthed, both from the Taylor's archive, and from the church's own records. Great too, to talk to lots of folk, to see some of the banners on display, and to pick up a booklet about the stained glass windows in the church. Makes me all the more determined to fit in that trip to the stained glass museum in Ely (and hope it's open this time)!









Last evening was spent in Birstall at the gala. Hathern Band were playing the proms-type finale again, and again, it was a good 'un, especially that trombone piece!






So, maybe I've done enough this week, and can be forgiven for staying indoors, writing blog posts today?!


You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2018). On Taylors, Zeppelins, railways, churches, soldiers and plants. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2018/07/on-taylors-zeppelins-railways-churches.html  [Accessed 1 July 2018]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 


Lynne

             

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.