Sunday 22 July 2018

Taylors Truro Parks and Bandstands

So, it's been a couple of weeks since I last blogged. I was going to apologise for keeping you waiting for more news about Loughborough, but actually, visiting others places has only helped me to focus on our lovely town, with all its history, and all it has to offer. Not sure that being poorly has the same effect, but hey ho!

Again, the last few weeks have been rather busy: aside from packing up my work life in preparation for a move to a new office (sounds such an everyday thing, doesn't it, but I've been working in the same office for more years than I can remember), going on holiday and being poorly, I've also had my first book published, been taking pictures around town of recent changes, and been to many local talks and events.

Let's concentrate on all those lovely Loughborough connections that came to mind whilst I was on holiday. My trip took me to Truro, St Ives, Lelant, Hayle, St Just, Halsetown, Sennen Cove, Pendeen, Lamorna, Helston, Penzance, Mousehole, Bodmin Moor, Clevedon, Bristol, Tolethorpe Hall (near Stamford) and Peterborough, where I walked for miles and miles and miles, visited beaches, museums, art galleries, churches and cathedrals. Ok, so I may have visited one or two little shops along the way, and eaten rather too much at some splendid eateries as well!



As I've already mentioned, everywhere I go I learn something new and find some connection to Loughborough, and in Truro this was certainly the case. I've been to Truro before, but each time my mind is subconsciously focused on something different. This time I was keen to visit the cathedral: on previous visits, I'd simply soaked up the atmosphere, stared in awe at the architecture and generally felt humbled. This time, I had bells at the back of my mind: a forthcoming exhibition at the Loughborough Library will focus on Taylors bells so I wasn't just thinking any old bells!




The guidebook (1) told me that the cathedral was relatively new, the first two foundation stones being laid in 1880, and the building finally completed in 1910. The architect was chosen by that familiar method whereby architects submit plans and drawings of a proposed structure to a panel of judges who then select their preferred entry. Seven architects were shortlisted, and George Bodley received four votes, John Loughborough Pearson seven. The cathedral design chosen was, therefore, that created by John Loughborough Pearson. Now there's a name to connect to!!




And what of the bells? Would it surprise you to learn that the set of 10 bells, hung in tow piers, are Taylor's bells, and were first run at their dedication service in 1910? No, I didn't think it would!! The bells are named after Cornish and Celtic saints, like St Petroc and St Piran. A bit of research later at home revealed that in 2011 a further four new bells were added to the original ten, cast by Taylors in celebration of the cathedral's 100th anniversary.

No visit to any town is complete without a long walk around the outskirts, to experience a bit more than just the central shops, amenities and cultural activities. So, I headed off to something on the map that had caught my eye, which, in the event, yielded more than I could have imagined! 



Heading off out of town, along River Street, passing the Royal Cornwall Museum, up Frances Street past the Wig and Pen pub, at the turn off to St George Road I could see a vast viaduct in the near distance - and what a sight it was! The design of the original viaduct (constructed between 1859 and 1889) was based on advice received from Isambard Kingdom Brunel, but this was replaced in 1904. 










The impressive granite structure is the longest in Cornwall, having 16 arches (2), is 86 feet high, (3) and was the last of the originals to be replaced. 









It was built alongside the original, of which 14 piers are still standing. The original creation was known as Carvedras viaduct, and this later one is sometimes known as the Moresk Viaduct and is the route taken by the Paddington (London) to Penzance train. Of course, this all reminded me of our very own viaduct at Stanford, over Meadow Lane and the River Soar. Only 9 arches, but still pretty impressive, this locally listed structure was built by Henry Lovatt, from Wolverhampton, as part of the Great Central Railway line to London.  











And to finish with Truro, next to the viaduct was a glorious park called Victoria Park. Like our very own Queen's Park, this was created to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. Like our park, there is a bandstand which is used for regular band concerts during the summer months (4). 







Here's Hathern Concert Brass playing in our own Queen's Park bandstand today:



And some accompanying pictures







Ever wondered why our park often gets very boggy during outbursts of rain? Something to do with the myriad of leats that run underneath, and are culverted towards Iceland (5) - Truro also has such leats




And here's one of our ponds, complete with wildlife!







Connections with war are also apparent in both parks, although I suspect the one in Truro is a temporary commemoration related to the 100th anniversary of the RAF.




Goodness me, I could go on forever, but I must stop now!! If I get time, subsequent posts will investigate further the churches I visited that had Taylors bells (and the cathedral which didn't - well, they did have their own bellfounder, Henry Penn!), the industrial connections between Hayle and Loughborough, and sundry other connections that came to mind while I was away! 

Incidentally, as holiday reading I treated myself to a copy of Evergreen, This England and MyCornwall. I was expecting to read things of general interest, but was amazed to find articles of specific interest to me, like: 'The wool churches of the Cotswolds' (I recently visited the Cotswolds for the first time ever, and Loughborough had an important part to play in the wool trade); a picture of Kiby Muxloe Castle (built by the Hastings family who were Lords of the Manor of Loughborough) showing its impressive and tranquil ruins; an article on Philip Sparke a composer of brass band music (Hathern BB have played some of his compositions); a lovely article about the 'Mon and Brec' (I used to walk alongside this canal to get to school!); an article on Cornish inspirations which led me to walk part of the cliff path from Lamorna to Carnes Barges to see the house in which Derek Tangye lived and wrote; an article about the Oliver Cromwell (no need to tell you enthusiasts reading this that I'm talking about the steam engine!!), I could go on and on ... 

References:

(1) Truro Cathedral: a souvenir book, pg. 29
(2) 16 arches according to this website; 20 piers according to this one.
(3) 86 feet according to this website; 92 according to this one.  
(4) Here's the programme of concerts in our own park bandstand.
(5) This is all much better explained in this document relating to proposed (and subsequently rejected, I believe) development of the Granby Street car park area, than I could do. See pages 49-50 particularly.


You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2018). Taylors, Truro, parks and bandstands. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2018/07/taylors-truro-parks-and-bandstands.html  [Accessed 22 July 2018]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 


Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.