Sunday 30 June 2019

Armed Forces Day in Loughborough

So, this week has seen a number of commemorations and anniversaries, including the birthday of my beautiful daughter, celebrated in style with lunch on the day at Oakley Grange, and the following day at a barbeque at one of the university halls, where youngest son and I had a great couple of games of pool. Took me back to my days as a student when I played pool in Towers Refectory, although my preferred game was bar billiards (there used to be a table in the Blacksmith's Arms).


The birthday



I managed to get across to Newarke Houses Museum in Leicester to see their changing display, which at the moment is commemorating 45 years since the Imperial Typewriters strike of 1974, when over 500 people came out on strike. Here's more info and analysis of the strike if you want it. I noticed a reference to the Mansfield Hosiery strike in Loughborough mentioned too, which also took place in 1972. Mansfield Hosiery was situated on Trinity Street, where there are now flats, opposite the side of the former Holy Trinity Church, which is now recognised as part of the parish church - All Saints with Holy Trinity. The vicar of Holy Trinity was at one time Reverend David Dewar, whose sons both died in WW1, and who lived in 68A Leicester Road, which is now Holywell Guest House, run by Lez Cope Newman and Derek Hunter.





The Imperial Typewriter strike at Newarke Houses Museum








The week before last I visited Queen's Park. It was difficult to traverse the park because many of the paths were flooded, and the grass was more like a bog. This Saturday, however, the park was basking in 30 degree heat and brilliant sunshine! Along with hundreds of other people, I went along to the unveiling of the Songster armature, having first spent some time around town.


The flooded park









The town centre events






Songster was Loughborough's war horse, whose story I have told on this blog before, whose story has been written in a lovely book, written by Alison Mott and beautifully illustrated by Liz Waddell, and also appears in both of my own books. The Carillon is currently being renovated and refurbished, but the ground floor was open with a display of WW1 memorablia and information, including the original grave marker used at Songster's burial place on a farm in Woodhouse Eaves.

In June 2018 a ceremony was held at Songster's grave, and a new grave marker installed. Also in 2018, the armature was created and was used during the November 2018 Armistice Day commemorations, adorned by poppies made by local schoolchildren and groups. The descendants of Songster's companion, Trooper Bert Main, and of Harry Pool, the owner of the farm where Songster lived out his days, were guests of hounour at the event, and the youngest member attending helped to unveil the armature. A nearby information board was also revealed by descendants.

As usual, being a bit vertically challenged, I've taken a range of photos, none of which are particularly good, but might give you an idea of the event.

The sunny park and the unveiling event






















You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:


Dyer, Lynne (2019). Armed Forces Day in Loughborough. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2019/06/armed-forces-day-in-loughborough.html  [Accessed 30 June 2019]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.