Sunday 1 November 2020

Halloween in Loughborough cemetery

So, my blogpost was just about ready, when I realised I needed to go out for a walk. It being 31 October, I decided to take a late evening walk around the cemetery, a place I often go in the daytime, but not somewhere I'd ever have thought to go on a dark evening, never mind on Halloween! 

So, I took the hubby with me, and we took a few paths that we'd never been along before, which proved to be rather interesting. We also saw the illuminated cemetery chapels from many different angles, although we did lose the path at one point as a large tree had fallen across it, and I think smashed a few graves. 

Here's the entry I wrote for the cemetery chapels from 'Loughborough in 50 Buildings':

"The government’s first Public Health Act (1848), which permitted the creation of local Boards of Health, received Royal Assent, following a second national outbreak of cholera. A series of Burial Acts were also passed, culminating in the Burial Act, 1854, allowing town councils to create Burial Boards, such boards being responsible for establishing parish cemeteries.

Loughborough Cemetery was created following the passing of the Burial Acts, the chapel being designed by architects Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln in the popular Gothic Revival style, and built by John Sudbury of Loughborough.

At a ceremony in July 1856, a procession, including members of the Burial Board, which comprised many well-known local men, including Edward Chatterton Middleton, Edward Warner, Beauvoir Brock, and Henry Toone, walked from the Town Hall to the cemetery, where Edward Middleton laid the foundation stone for the chapels.

Expansion at the end of the nineteenth century was followed by the creation of a new cemetery in 1947, and in 2017 further expansion has been proposed. Remedial and conversion work was carried out on the deteriorating chapels in 1993 and they are now home to the Cibes Lift Group.

According to Pevsner these are the best cemetery chapels in the country." 

Knowing how awful my camera is at nighttime photos I used my phone to take some shots. Some are ok, others I know are a bit blurred, but I thought I'd share them with you anyway.


The path to the cemetery

Nearly there

A dedicated part of the cemetery

Another dedicated part of the cemetery

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

The fallen tree

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

Oops, a bit blurry!

The cemetery chapels under a blue moon and a hunter's moon. Won't see this again until 2039!

The entrance gates


And here are some photos I took early on the evening of 7 October 2020:

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

The cemetery chapels

A memorial in the newer section of the cemetery


If you're interested in headstones in the daylight, there's plenty of posts about Swithland slate on my blog:

Churchyards

Cholera and cemeteries

Swithland slate in local churchyards

Swithland slate gravestones

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:


Dyer, Lynne (2020). Fire in a Loughborough building. Available from:https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2020/10/halloween-in-loughborough-cemetery.html  [Accessed 1 November 2020]

Take down policy:

I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.

You can leave comments below, but do check back as my reply will appear here, below your comment.

Thank you for reading this blog. 

Lynne                         

4 comments:

  1. Thank you both for going out in the dark on all hallows
    As my grandmother would say dont be afraid .The dead can not hurt you It is the living you should fear.
    Love your work stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Thanks for reading the blog and taking time to comment. I have to admit, as neither of us had ever done anything like this before, we were a bit nervous, but we needn't have been: it was a truly peaceful and lovely experience, and as I say, we ventured into corners we hadn't been into during daylight hours, probably because we always seem to be in a bit of a rush. Glad you enjoy reading my posts. Thanks again, Lynne

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your post found it to be very interesting, I use to walk down the path many times when I was a kid, I enjoyed reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Unknown! Thank you so much for reading the blog and taking the time and trouble to comment. Glad this post brought back memories for you! Thanks again, Lynne

    ReplyDelete

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.